Monday, January 31, 2011

The cough, the couch and the clinic: My immune system in flashback

Mode of distraction: Checking for yellow phlegm. 
Distracting me from: Thank-you notes, taking out the trash.

I was shivering like it was 2002. Once upon a time, I was missing an antibody for sinus infections and had an abscessed left tonsil that turned any limp protest to my immune system into a full-fledged W-A-R on my body. From about eighth grade through high school, I would get really sick about 6-8 times a school year. Like, bed-ridden sick. People cried hypochondria, I just cried. One by one, the reasons were discovered, and I felt sweet, sweet redemption. And a functioning immune system.

Well, this past week I came down with Type A Influenza. According to FluFACTS, this type of virus is commonly found in every barnyard animal in the world...and humans, too. Listed last. After the swine. Ouch. It is also the umbrella for things like H1N1 and the like, which I did not have (breathe easy, classmates...but do watch for symptoms. Kisses!).

Anyway, I made it to class--more or less--but otherwise missed plenty o' work (paid for that today and will continue to the rest of the week) and spent most of the time sitting on my couch wrapped in all the fabric I could find feeling like I was lying naked in Antarctica. Melodramatic enough for you? A 102.6 temperature will do that to a (whiny gay) man. Praise Roseanne for leftover Vicodin...and Roseanne itself. I marathoned the entire beloved sixth season.


For my money, and this includes my future hundreds of millions in lottery winnings, seasons four through seven of this show are some of the best in TV history, period. All hail!

Anyway, after repeated doses of Roseanne, "Tylenol," and sleepless nights weren't doing the trick, I succumbed to going to the USF Health Clinic (part of the St. Mary's Medical Center) drop-in hours. To anyone else in such a desperate state: get there before 1 p.m. to sign up. I got there just a bit later, which was okay, but by 1:45 there was a line of sniffles and puffy faces that you do not want to be a part of. The doctor I saw was perfectly lovely and helpful, quickly identified my symptoms, and had medicine for me within two hours at the pharmacy closest to my house.



Tamiful has been a miracle worker. I am now actually ready for school and will return to class with appropriate vigor. Those of you who have me in class for the first time--last week ain't what I'm about. Just you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment