Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Stuff that Brings Out the Gay

Mode of distraction: Watching live Adele performances. 
Distracting me from: Putting clean laundry away. 

It's Gay Pride Month! Pride is a mere few days away, but the gay gene knows nor cares about any such calendar. No matter the month, there are a few things that will send me into a queeny fit faster than Shangela in a lip-sync competition. I realized this at the gym today when, while lifting dumbbells, N*SYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" came on and it was only due to the struggle to lift the dumbbells that I didn't break into an all-out dance in front of the wall-to-wall mirrors. So, in the spirit of the month, I've been pontificating as to what triggers my inner gay to become an outer one. And because I'm OCD like that, I had to make enough to do rainbow colors. Deal.
~
1. Halloween
I mean, duh. Costumes, makeup, candy, alcohol, parties, dancing...sign me up for twice a year. And though I only dipped into drag once, it was really amazing, if I do say so myself (if completely wasted on a Davis audience):
AbFab, natch.

2. Wedding dance floors
There's something about them--the age range, the go-to 80s songs, the open bar (ideally), and--most often--my sister and mother at my side that just puts me in my element.

3. Nostalgic bubblegum pop/R&B
Including, but not limited to, early Britney and Destiny's Child, as well as "The Boy is Mine," "Hit 'Em Up Style," "Bye Bye Bye," "Wannabe," "Genie In A Bottle," "Faded" and "Are You That Somebody?"

4. Champagne
It's alcohol. Bubbly alcohol. Bubbly alcohol that's perfectly acceptable to consume morning, noon, and night. Check.

5. My favorite famous females


5. Scrapbooking
SHUT UP. I've made three (well, two, but my Davis one required two scrapbooks to fit all the modness) and I love them. Too expensive and time consuming to do regularly (plus I'm sure at some point I'd actually acquire menopause), but I love putting on my headphones and crafting out at 3 a.m.


6. Movies I've memorized
There are comedies that are so good, committing them to memory just sort of happens. Such films include The Birdcage, Death Becomes Her, Drop Dead Gorgeous, and Best In Show. Proper intonation required while going through dialogue with those special family and friends that have memorized them, too.
~
So voilà. Bask in my pride, and what brings it out faster than anything else. Well, except for, you know, naked men. Attractive naked men in particular. And this guy in most particular:

No comments:

Post a Comment